Monday, April 7, 2008

Chinese Ghost Festival

SUNDAY, APRIL 06, 2008

Traditionally, Cheng Meng or Ghost Festival is a Chinese tradition that the families and relatives together go to the tomb of their relative who had passed away.

This year I went to my grandma’s tomb with my family. However, my sister and her husband couldn’t come because they were at his grandma’s funeral. It was awful that my brother-in-law’s grandma had to be in a different world. She lived in France and she requested to return to Cambodia since she was ill. After she arrived her home country for a month, she then started to stay in bed for a few months until last Friday night.

After my we had done the traditional duties at my grandma’s tomb, we went to join our relatives at the tomb of our great grand parents. It was my first time to join them, but it was nice to see many of my relatives at once. Some of us hadn’t met each other for longer than a year because we are at different places and even provinces. It was funny that we got to introduce each other to our new families and new children.





Children having fun with this task. We cover the tomb with the color papers as it means to roof the tomb.



Many people and many cars.


Time to eat! I like it, yay!


This task is also fun for children. We burn money, clothes, gold... all made of paper, we beleive the ghost can receive this offer by we burning them.

No comments:

Post a Comment