Sunday, September 4, 2011

Market in Rattanak Kiri

SEPTEMBER 01st - 03th, 2011

Rattanak Kiri is the mountainous northeastern frontier province of Cambodia that borders Laos, Vietnam. It is approximately 600km from Phnom Penh, by a Van it would take 8h to 9h. I went there for two nights on mission. The plans were always changed because of the taxi arrangement did not come out as the plans.

Two nights there made me missed my city life a lot and i'm grateful that I live in the city. During the mission in Rattanak Kiri, i was like a bag packer, holding a 1.5L bottle of drinking water walking down the street during the rain. It was raining and showering all the time.

The town is small and the commercial area even smaller. Most people there walk because from one place to another is not far. Along a 100m road you can find all ministries down there. However, the town is so peaceful, i quite like it.

It was not useless for visiting there, i mean it pays off for my mission.


The water tower to supply the town. I did not find out how much the water per m3, but the electricity is more than 1000R which is more expensive than in the Phnom Penh City.

I rarely drink and once i do, it would be a glass for the whole session for me. I'm like the frozen glass though, it's attractive by the look.


Yeak Laom Lake is located about 5 kilometers southeast of central Banlung. It is a clear and deep lake of 50m and 800m of the diameter. It is a crater formed after a volcanic eruption over 4000 years ago.




Few years ago, people grew cashew but now everywhere is cassava.


Can you see the red-white tower? It was built by the French during the colonial era to monitor river traffic. It's on the east bank of the Mekong River, opposite Kampong Cham.

No comments:

Post a Comment